Your offer has been accepted and you can’t wait to move in. But don’t break out the bubbly just yet. You have to close the deal. Your REALTOR® and lawyer will do most of the closing work, but here’s your checklist.
- Immediately begin satisfying any conditions of the agreement that require action on your part. Your REALTOR® can fill out the documents stating that the conditions have been satisfied.
- Have your lawyer begin searching title to the property. This can take a while, so make sure you allow ample time.
- Well before closing, get your homeowner’s insurance to be effective on your closing date. Your insurance broker will give you a ‘binder’ letter certifying that you’re covered. You can’t get a mortgage without this letter!
- Contact your lender and have them finalize your mortgage documents. Have your lawyer review them before you sign.
- Your lawyer will transfer essential utilities like hydro and water, but you’ll have to make sure telephone and cable companies switch their services to your name.
- If you rent, give notice to your landlord or sublease your apartment.
- Begin planning your big move! Where are those cardboard boxes?
- Send out your change of address information and fill out a card at the post office. Contact the Ministry of Transport about changing your driver’s licenses.
- Walk through your new home one more time with your REALTOR®.
- A day or two before closing, you’ll meet with your lawyer to sign the closing documents. Your lawyer will tell you in advance what certified cheques you’ll need to seal the deal.
Information provided by HowRealtorsHelp.